Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Early 20's

You hear people around my age talk about it all the time...What should I do with my life? We constantly ask ourselves this question over and over again. It doesn't matter if we have that perfect job, the great boyfriend or girlfriend, and the perfect little quaint apartment downtown. We can't deny that this question rolls into our minds on a weekly basis. So what do I do when in doubt? I ask Google. 

The search engine gave me some simple answers: 

1) Make mistakes. We're young, we're flexible and we're learning. So at our age we can afford to learn and try new things. Take that dance class you've been secretly wanting, move to the city you've always wanted to live in, and try that new hairstyle you've been thinking about. By doing these things, we'll figure it out quicker what we like and what we don't like. And along the way you might discover something new about yourself. 

2) Be financially smart. Don't get a credit card and start saving now. Spend wisely and only what your lifestyle allows. Remember that you could be just as happy in that apartment in uptown than you would in that apartment downtown. Especially if you have more spending money. 
3) Travel. I feel like everyone knows this one, but doesn't really follow it. See the world! Trust me you'll learn more traveling overseas than spending a year at a job you got just because of the money. 

I say all this just because I'm going for it. And I have to find a way to justify my decision or else I'm going to go crazy. Needless to say, I've quite my job. Throwing in the salary, benefits, and an awesome boss for a unique opportunity to travel again and an opportunity to find something that I love doing.  In a month I'm headed to the Philippines. I'll be working with a friend teaching basketball to a ton of people over there. I'm getting a chance to do so many things I love all in one opportunity. Travel, play basketball, and engage in a culture that's half of me. 


Do I know what I'm going to do when I get back? I have NO clue. But I have faith that I'll figure it out. And the point is, I have all the resources to do whatever I may like. So hello to the mistakes, hello to the Ramen Noodles, and hello to the traveling. 




1 comment: